Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Prayer Journal Entry #53: "I can't force them..."

Dear God, (February 16th, 2009)
The Youth Group Girls’ Bible Study didn’t go so well yesterday. They wouldn’t stop goofing off long enough to pay attention or read Scripture or answer questions seriously. Do they not care about having a relationship with You? Or are they just uncomfortable talking about spiritual things?
I’m praying my heart out over this group. I love the girls, and I really care about the way they live their lives. I don’t want them to waste them! I want so much for them to know what it’s like to have a relationship with You, to truly know You and love You. But I can’t make them passionate about You! I can’t force them to want to know You in a personal relationship. I know that You will have to work in their hearts. Give me the words to teach them. Help me not get in the way of the work of Your Spirit.
Father, I ask that You would grant these girls to be strengthened with power through Your Spirit in their inner beings, that Christ may dwell in their hearts through faith; that they may be rooted and grounded in love. O Abba, give them the strength to comprehend what is the breadth and length and height and depth, that they may know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge; and that they may be filled with all the fullness of God. Thank You for hearing me.
Yours Forever,
Rachel

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Hey Rachel, as I've been reading this, I've been struck by just how little I really know about you- but this post struck home because it so closely mirrored my own experience in attempting to lead a girl's Bible study. I taught the Sunday School class for the high school girls in our church for several weeks, and was deeply discouraged by their apathy, inability to concentrate, and flippant attitude towards God. On the other hand, God taught me a lot about my own arrogance, impatience, and false self-confidence, as well as my absolute necessity for dependence on Him. It's a terrible feeling though- longing to be able to make truth tangible, hold it in your hand, give it as a gift- and instead compelled to wait and pray for the slow, mysterious work of the Holy Spirit. How wonderful to know that 'with his blood he has redeemed men for himself from every tongue, tribe and nation.' Panta ta ethnos?