Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Do I really serve the Jesus of the Bible?

I'm taking a break from posting my prayer journal entries here to ask some questions about Christianity that have been on my mind for quite some time...
Is the Christianity we're living each day the Christianity worth dying for? Did Jesus die so that we could have a once a week "go-to-church" ritual? (How does he feel about being stuffed in the Sunday morning 10-11am slot each week?) Did he die so that we could be moral people? Or, as 2 Corinthians 5 says, could it be that "he died for all, that those who live might live no longer for themselves, but for him who for their sake died and was raised..."?
As I ask myself these questions, I can't help wondering how many Christians in other countries are being tortured, kicked out of their houses, beaten, and even killed...all for the Jesus that I often ignore, take for granted, and don't have time for, because I have "more important things to do." How can they die for Jesus Christ, when I can't even live for him? Do we really share the same faith? If so, then how come I am apathetic about the gospel, while they go to their deaths for proclaiming it? How can they endure suffering and torture, while I won't even get out of my comfort zone to share Jesus with a hurting world? What kind of faith do they have? What kind of faith do I have? Do I really believe what I say I believe? If so, then why doesn't it show in my life? Is my faith really built on Jesus, or on the traditions and behaviors that I've always been taught? Do I really serve the Jesus of the Bible?
How can they die for Jesus Christ, when I can't even live for him?

No comments: